Saturday, November 27, 2010

Things I Am Thankful For-MMA Edition

Ultimate Fighter-Thank God for Bruce LeRoy, Jamie Yeager & Junie Browning. These are the guys who keep us glued to the tv satisfying our need for total drama. And then they have at least one fight a week to satisfy our need for great drama.
Dana White-Name a boss who drops f-bombs like a native language. How about a guy who lets you flip him off (Dan Henderson anyone?) and laughs about it? How about a boss who took the mighty Brock Lesnar alone to a room to chew him out because he didn't want women to hear what he had to say to him? How about a man who always likes to make an equal or better substitution?
Bruce Buffer-Is there anybody better at psyching up a crowd than "The Veteran Voice of the Octagon"? (Say what you want about Michael Buffer, but Bruce Buffer and the UFC are nearly inseparable.) He has so much passion and it seeps out through his announcing.
The announce team-I love Mike Goldberg. He is the best of the best. I also love Joe Rogan with his bloodshot eyes. He is such a great motivator and seems to know so much about the sport. Also, from the Strikeforce realm, Mauro Ranallo has this fun game he plays where we guess what he will look like, whether clean-cut or looking like a homeless man.
The Heroes-I love Georges St. Pierre, Court McGee, Rich Franklin. There are so many legendary stories to tell. The silent athlete who exudes excellence like GSP. The former heroin addict declared clinically dead like Court McGee. The born-again Christian, former high school math teacher in Rich Franklin.
The Villains-
"If they didn't hate me so much, you think they would have been cheering you so much?"
-Rowdy Roddy Piper, WCW Halloween Havoc 1996
What is GSP without Josh Koscheck's antagonization? What would Chuck Liddell have been without Tito Ortiz? Would there have been any emotion with Efrain Escudero's victory against Junie Browning if it had been anybody else fighting? It's the villains that keep us coming back for more.
Brock Lesnar's Mouth-A corona and a burrito? I'm going to jump on my wife tonight? Don't drink Bud Light? As a blogger, I salivate every time I hear Brock speak.
Sportsmanship-Name a fight that doesn't end with the fighters at least touching gloves. Sportsman-like MMA is a redundant statement. I would much rather my daughter take the principles of MMA than most other sports.
Strong Female Role Models-I've already gone on about this ad nausuem so forgive my redundancy. But I like knowing that my daughter can look up to women like Sarah Kaufman, Miesha Tate & Marloes Coenen. That makes me happy as a dad.
Fighters I want to support-Sometimes, there just comes a fighter you want to support. I like Clay Guida, Efrain Escudero, Diego Sanchez, Kenny Florian & Kimbo Slice. It's guys like that who give everything make me appreciate the sport.
Thanks for a great year and giving me the entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment