Saturday, December 4, 2010

Strikeforce Henderson-Babalu

Strikeforce very recently has given us some great cards and has really stepped up on giving us some of the best action. I am on a little bit of a slump now at 19 for 39, good enough for a .487 record. This is a night I am really looking forward to so far. Let’s look at the card and make some picks certain to go wrong.
Light Heavyweight bout: Dan Henderson (25-8) vs. Renato Sobral (36-8)
This is one for the ages. These two met in tournament finals back in 2000. Now here they are, 10 years later, worlds apart. Dan Henderson was the first knockout my daughter got to see (on Michael Bisping) and would probably have to be in my top 5 favorites. Sobral is probably looking for revenge. I remember being disqualified at a UIL band competition in 1997 and it still hurts. Losses linger. Sobral has lost 1 of his last 5, while Henderson has lost 2. I don’t like Henderson’s momentum. My heart says Henderson, but my gut says Sobral.
Winner: Sobral
Middleweight bout: Robbie Lawler (19-6, 1 NC) vs. Matt Lindland (22-7)
How do you not love a battle between guys nicknamed “Ruthless” and “The Law?” But looking at their numbers, neither of them have been really spot-on or consistent. This is an even match, but not because they’re numbers look good; they just seem to be at the same place in their career. Lawler seems to be all about the KO (82.5% of his wins have come via TKO), but Lindland seems to be more diversified. I think Lawler is going to be singing “The Clash”… “I fought the law and the law won.”
Winner: Lindland
Welterweight bout: Paul Daley (25-9-2) vs. Scott Smith (17-7, 1 NC)
Daley has won 4 out of his last 5 fights. Smith has won 3 of his last 5. All due respect to Strikeforce, it feels like they are feeding up Daley to their boy. Daley has more monentum. Cung Le knocked Smith out cold his last fight. If I’m Daley, I want to prove my place in Strikeforce. If I’m Scott Smith, I want to prove my loss to a 38-year-old was a fluke. I’m giving the momentum to Daley.
Winner: Daley
Heavyweight bout: Antonio Silva (14-2) vs Mike Kyle (18-7-1, 1 NC)
Kyle is a well-traveled veteran who has been through a lot of storms. Silva is probably the scariest, most intimidating man on this Earth (ahead of Perry Saturn, Rick Steiner, Vinnie Jones & R. Lee Ermey on my list).  Silva has won by TKO 64.29% of the time, while Kyle is at 66.67%. One thing I am sure. This will be a slugfest. I’m counting on Bigfoot Silva to take this one.
Winner: Silva
Light Heavyweight bout: Benji Radach (21-5) vs. Ovince St. Preux (8-4)
Radach is a veteran who’s been through a lot of fights compared to St. Preux. Haitian St. Preux is on a tear right now. He’s been on a 5-fight win streak. Radach has lost two of his last 3. When I look at the numbers, I see the Haitian owning Radach by the end of the contest.
Winner: St. Preux

No comments:

Post a Comment