Saturday, January 1, 2011

UFC 125 Preview

I've put UFC through the ringer recently for their crappy cards and fights. This night is not one of them.
Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar (13-1) (c) vs. Gray Maynard (10-0, 1 NC)
I am so looking forward to this fight. Edgar is 13-1 with only one loss in his career. Guess who his one loss is against. Is it this guy?  How about this one? Or the most brutal of themall? Nope, it's none other than his opponent, Gray Maynard. So Maynard knows what to do to beat Edgar, and now two and a half years later, there is a title on the line. I like and respect both of these fighters a lot for their support of Team Darius. My opinion: Frankie is going to do what it takes to beat Maynard this time.
Winner: Edgar
Middleweight bout: Chris Leben (25-6) vs. Brian Stann (9-3)
Is there a greater Good vs. evil storyline? Brian Stann, Naval Academy graduate, former Marine vs. Chris "The Crippler" Leben, one of the worst human beings in MMA history, the guy who pissed on Jason Thacker's bed and has tested positive for steroids. I will be unashamedly rooting for Stann, but I don't see a lot of big names in his history of wins. I'm going to go with Leben for the win.
Winner: Leben
Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera (11-5) vs. Thiago Silva (14-2)
I like Brandon Vera. I also like Thiago Silva. This should be a good fight. Both fighters need this victory pretty bad. Vera has won 2 of his last 5. Silva has lost 2 of his last 3. Somebody needs to start winning again. I'm going with Silva. I think he has more momentum.
Winner: Silva
Welterweight bout: Nate Diaz (13-5) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (13-0-1, 1 NC)
I don't like Nick Diaz. Therefore I don't like Nate Diaz. Sorry, guilt by association. Diaz has some impressive skins on his wall: Marcus Davis, Rory Markham, Melvin Guillard. Kim has a few, including Amir Sadollah, one of my favorites. This will be a very big test for Kim, but I still will go with Diaz.
Winner: Diaz
Lightweight bout: Clay Guida (27-11) vs. Takanori Gomi (32-6, 1 NC)
One thing you can set your watch to: Clay Guida will go hard. Nobody ever will accuse him of phoning it in. That's why he's one of my top 3 favorite fighters. Both are 3 for their last 5. I see this one being pretty even. Guida is a full onslaught whenever he fights, so I see him going through Gomi.
Winner: Guida
To follow me on Twitter, click here. I will be giving my personal opinion as the night progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment