Saturday, October 16, 2010

UFC 120

Well, I have maintained a steady prediction record now at 11 out of 20. I’m already shooting better than Shaquille O’Neal. UFC British cards kind of remind me of a wrestling show full of squash matches. You have real-name vs. English guy most of the night. This card is no exception. It is a free card in the states, so I will be grateful and I think it should be a good night of fighting.
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping (19-3) vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-2, 2 no contests)
I will make it no mystery that I do not like Michael Bisping. I think he’s a worthless jerk and nothing makes me happier than to see him knocked out. That being said, I do think this will be his fight. Akiyama is 1-1 since debuting in UFC. Bisping really is one of the best fighters in MMA and I see him walking away with a decision (though woe be unto him if he ends up on the ground; that’s Akiyama’s realm). If this goes to a decision, it’s going on in London. Bisping will win, no matter if he deserves it or not.
Winner: Bisping
Welterweight bout: Dan Hardy (23-7, 1 NC) vs. Carlos Condit (25-5)
The more I see of Dan Hardy the more he impresses me. He looks like a throwback from a post-apocalyptic 80′s British film. (Yes, I know The Warriors wasn’t British, but I love that clip anyway). 4-1 in UFC and the one loss was to GS-freakin’-P. Wins over Rory Markham, Marcus Davis & Mike Swick. Condit was 5-0 in WEC and is 2-1 in UFC. While the numbers look impressive, I just think so much of Hardy and I look at his numbers and I see him walking away with the victory. I think we’re going to a decision and the guy from Nottingham wins.
Winner: Hardy
Welterweight bout: John Hathaway (14-0) vs. Mike Pyle (20-7-1)
This is another intriguing fight. Hathaway is on the rise  and is on the rise against some pretty big names (most notably Diego Sanchez). Mike Pyle is not to be taken lightly either. He’s fought for the International Fight League, WEC, Elite XC, Strikeforce, Affliction and the UFC. The more I look at this fight on paper, the more this bout stands out to me. I’m going to go with Edward Cullen John Hathaway. I don’t see Pyle stopping Hathaway’s rise.
Winner: Hathaway
Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo (15-6-1) vs. Travis Browne (10-0)
This is a very confusing fight to examine because it’s hard to know who Cheick Kongo is.  8-4 in UFC, he always seems to be on the cusp of something great. I like the guy. I live in total, utter fear of him. I just don’t know who we’re going to see. I’m thinking this is going to be an all-out slobber-knocker. 60% of Kongo’s wins and 80% of Browne’s have been via knockout. Sometimes you can tell who’s getting fed to who. I’m not really sure in this one. I’m going Kongo.
Winner: Kongo
Welterweight bout: James Wilks (7-3) vs. Claude Patrick (12-1)
After beating DaMarques Johnson (one of the season’s favorites) in the finale of Season 9 of Ultimate Fighter, Wilks has been 1-1 in the UFC. Claude Patrick is 1-0 in UFC. Patrick’s game seems to be dependent on the ground game. Wilks has a variety of different weapons at his disposal. If Wilks denies Patrick the ability to go to the floor, I don’t know how effective he’ll be.
Winner: Wilks
Upset alert: Claude Patrick. If he gets on the ground, it’s over.
Fighters to watch in the prelims:
Stanislav Nedkov-Making his UFC debut, Bulgarian Nedkov is 11-0, including a vistory over Kevin Randleman.
Paul Sass-10-0 record. 8 of his fights haven’t made it past the first round.
Other Fighters to watch during the week:
Lyman Good-known as “The Cyborg,” he is 10-0, the first Bellator Welterweight Champion. And Bellator is going to be giving us Good vs. Ben Askren (6-0). If you can find a Fox Sports showing it, that will be quite the fight.
Eddie Alvarez-number 6 Lightweight in the world as ranked by Sherdog, Alvarez will be fighting “El Matador” Roger Huerta. That should be a great fight by Bellator I see going the distance.
Rick Hawn-also fighting for Bellator, Hawn (8-0) has only made it to the third round twice. All the other 6 fights have been TKO’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment