Tuesday, September 28, 2010

WEC 51 Preview

After UFC 119, I am 6 for 11 all-time (.545 winning percentage; good enough to make the NBA playoffs in the Eastern Conference). If you’ve never seen WEC, they are a very strong organization and worth checking out. They are akin to watching a future’s game during the All-Star Break in Baseball. This seems to be a very stacked card.

Featherweight Championship: Jose Aldo (c) (17-1) vs. Manny Gamburyan (11-4)


According to www.Sherdog.com, they consider Jose Aldo the number one featherweight in the world. Yeah, not only that, they have him ranked as #3 in the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world. Right, #3. That’s behind Anderson Silva & Georges St. Pierre. (Excuse me for a moment to soak in all the awe.) That’s ABOVE Frankie Edgar, “Shogun” Rua & Rashad Evans. That means that you have a chance on free tv (Versus) to watch the number three fighter in the world. I think we have to go with Aldo. He hasn’t lost since 2005, with victories over the likes of Cub Swanson, Mike Brown and Urijah Faber (the face of WEC). Manny, I’d love to see you prove me wrong, but I think my gut tells me Aldo.

Winner: Aldo

Lightweight Fight: Jamie Varner (16-3-1) vs. Donald Cerrone (11-3)

This is an interesting fight. This is a highly anticipated rematch. Cerrone seems to be on a bit of a losing phase. Varner also has more to prove. Cerrone looks like an amazing physical specimen. But I see Varner taking this one home.

Winner: Varner

Bantamweight bout: Miguel Torres (37-3) vs. Charlie Valencia (12-5)

So we’ve got the VERY experienced Miguel Torres taking on Charlie Valencia. Don’t let the 37 wins fool you. Valencia has one more fight in the WEC than Torres. Torres is a former WEC Bantamweight champion and is ranked as the #5 Bantamweight. I think the fight is there for Valencia’s taking but I think Torres still has the upper hand. Part of me says this is where Torres begins his climb back up.

Winner: Torres

Featherweight bout: Chan Sung Jung (10-2) vs. George Roop (10-6-1)


The “Korean Zombie” debuted at WEC 48 to a very controversial split decision loss to Leonard Garcia. George Roop defeated John Polakowski with a broken hand to advance to the semifinals of the Ultimate Fighter Season 8 (Mir vs. Nogueira). I will be going for the Zombie because Roop defeated out one of my favorite Ultimate Fighter participants EVER. But my personal feelings aside, I think the Zombie will have something to prove. I don’t see Roop with the steam built up to overcome the zombie. Roop, the Zombie is coming for you.

Winner: Jung

Featherweight bout: Leonard Garcia (14-5-1) vs. Mark Hominick (18-8)

This is not the most inspiring fight I’ve ever seen on paper. Garcia’s last three fights are a decision victory most say he didn’t win, a draw to George Roop and a loss to Manny Gamburyan. I don’t see a lot lately that inspires me. Hominick has won 5 of his last 6. His career shows victories over Jorge Gurgel & Yves Edwards. My heart tells me to go with Hominick.

Winner: Hominick

Upset watch- While any of these are up in the air, I see Charlie Valencia as being probably the best chance.

Future stars to watch:

Zhang Tie Quan-a fighter from Inner Mongolia in China. We don’t get to see MMA fighters  from actual China, much less fighters who are 11-0.

Mike Brown-#3 Featherweight according to Sherdog. It is very likely that he could be getting the next shot at the winner of Aldo/Gamburyan.

Diego Nunes-#10 Featherweight according to Sherdog. An exciting Brazilian fighter, it looks like his star is on the rise.

For more on Beer, Women and Sports check out bigbadsportsdaddy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment