Saturday, July 30, 2011

Strikeforce-Battle of the Legends: Fedor vs Hendo


After the last event I came to a great realization. I stink at MMA predictions. So I'm trying the exact opposite of what I would choose (the George Costanza method, for you Seinfeld buffs). We'll see how much better I do.
Heavyweight bout: Fedor Emelianenko (31-3, 1 NC) vs. Dan Henderson (27-8)
Let's be honest. Both of these guys are total legends in this sport. Henderson is looking like he is on more of a win streak. Fedor has a higher percentage of finishes. I'm almost tempted to just sit back and watch this as a fan. How do you break down a fight like this and describe it? Fedor has age on Henderson and a higher percentage of finishes. Statistically, I would pick Fedor. Costanza says I go with Henderson.
Winner: Henderson
Women's Welterweight (135 lb) Championship bout: Marloes Coenen (19-4) (c) vs. Miesha Tate (11-2)
I've said this a million times. I swoon over Miesha Tate. She is my Justin Bieber. This one will be very hard for me to be unbiased. But I admire Marloes Coenen too, and I was the person who saw her winning against Sarah Kaufman. Tate has the momentum, on a 5-fight win streak. Plus, she doesn't have the belt, and you know she has to want it. However, Coenen has never won a decision. She is a finisher. I always tend to go with the finisher. As hard as it is for me, I would say Tate. Costanza says Coenen.
Winner: Coenen
Middleweight bout: Robbie Lawler (18-7, 1 NC) vs. Tim Kennedy (13-3)
This should be another really good fight. Kennedy has better momentum (4 of his last 5), as opposed to Lawler (2 of his last 5). Kennedy has worked on his way up from the Challengers series. Now he gets a chance against one of the golden boys of Elite XC/Strikeforce. Kennedy has a more even percentage of victories. Lawler seems to rely more heavily on the KO. Costanza method says to go with Lawler.
Winner: Lawler
Welterweight bout: Paul Daley (20-10-2) vs. Tyron Woodley (8-0)
What better story? Controversial, seasoned veteran Paul "Semtex" Daley taking on skyrocketing prospect Tyron "T-Wood" Woodley. Daley has more experience, T-Wood is on more of a momentum, winning his last 8. This will be a huge test for former Bully Beatdown fighter Woodley. Being the little mark I am for Woodley, he would be my hands-down pick. But the Costanza rule states to choose Daley.
Winner: Daley
Welterweight bout: Scott Smith (17-8, 1 NC) vs. Tarec Saffiedine (10-3)
This should be another interesting fight to watch. This is kind of the "Bronze Medal Game" from a world Cup. Both of these guys, their last fight was against Daley and Woodley, respectively. Smith needs a victory (badly), 2 of his last 5, 2 fight losing streak. Saffiedine is 3 of his last 5. Smith is a finisher. If this stays standing up, it goes to Smith. If it goes to the ground, I've got Saffiedine. I would says Smith, so I'm going with Saffiedine.
Winner: Saffiedine
To follow me on Twitter, click here. For Facebook, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment