Saturday, February 12, 2011

Strikeforce Preview-Fedor vs. Silva "Clash of the Titans"


So you have to forgive my pun about the clash of the titans. There are 5 fights featured. This means some big boys with some big slugging. Lots of Goliath fighting Goliath.
Heavyweight Grand Prix quarterfinal bout: Fedor Emelianenko (32-2, 1 NC) vs.  Antonio Silva (15-2)
I love me some Antonio Silva. He looks like the henchman to a villain in a bad action film. You know, the one the action star has to defeat before he fights the arch-villain. Fedor looks like the arch-villain in that self-same  action film. The fun part is that they fight with the fury of arch-villains. Fedor is one of the greatest legends in MMA history. He's lost twice in 11 years of MMA fighting. That's 5 more years than Silva has had. Experience and hunger go to Fedor (Fedor lost his last fight so he needs this more.). Momentum and size go to Silva. I'm chickening out and predicting Fedor.
Winner: Fedor
Heavyweight Grand Prix quarterfinal bout: Andrei Arlovski (15-8) vs. Sergei Kharitonov (17-4)
I'm going to be honest. I love the Pit Bull Arlovski. He's one of my favorite heavyweights in this tourney. But it doesn't mean he's going to be the best. I know nothing of Kharitonov. Arlovski gets the hunger, size and experience (experience fighting in the states as well). Kharitonov gets the momentum. Arlovski's lost his last 3. Kharitonov has won 4 of his last 5. I'll be going for the Pit Bull, but I'm going with Kharitonov for the victory.
Winner: Kharitonov
Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve bout: Shane Del Rosario (10-0)  vs. Lavar Johnson (15-3)
Usually Strikeforce fights don't excite me but turn out pretty good in the long run. This is one that excites me. Del Rosario has never made it to the third round. Johnson has made it to the third round once (and it was a TKO). Johnson has been on a 7-fight win streak. One thing is for certain. This will be a slugfest. I'm going with Johnson just because Del Rosario can only hold his unbeaten streak for so long.
Winner: Johnson
Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve bout: Chad Griggs (9-1) vs. Gianpiero Villante (7-1)
This is going to be another slugfest between the big boys. Griggs is the guy who humiliated Bobby Lashley. Neither fighter have ever gone the distance. Griggs has been to the third round twice. Villante has been to the second round twice. Both fighters will be sucking wind like a Ultimate Fighter prelim. I may be wrong on this one, but I'm thinking Griggs puts him out.
Winner: Griggs
Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve bout: Valentijn Overeem (28-25) vs. Ray Sefo (2-0)
The Dutch brother of Alastair Overeem is taking on the Kiwi kickboxer-turned-MMA-fighter. Don't let that 2-0 record fool you. He is VERY experienced in combat sports, just not in the sacred confines of "The Octagon." Also, don't think that Overeem's record is all there is to him. Only two fights in his career have ended in decisions. Whether he ends it or not, there will be an ending. I'm going with Overeem.
Winner: Overeem
To follow me on Twitter, click here. For Facebook, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment